Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profound quote from Eisenhower (holocaust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profound quote from Eisenhower (holocaust)

My wife and I returned yesterday from D.C. and we had the opportunity to visit the Holocaust Museum. Words cannot describe the emotions we felt while touring. It took us 3.5 hrs, and we didn't even finish! My generation HAS ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA what took place 1/2 a century ago. We felt anger, disgust, compassion, helplessness, and resolve.

One quote stuck out to me the most and it was addressed by Dwight D. Eisenhower regarding his visit to Ohrdruf concentration camp:

The things I saw beggar description...The visual evidence and the verbal testimony of starvation, cruelty and bestiality were...overpowering...I made the visit deliberately in order to be in a position to give first-hand evidence of these things if ever, in the future, there develops a tendency to charge these allegations merely to 'propaganda.'
    What does this remind you of today? Any person in particular? Or ideology? Yep you got it! Radical Islam's attempt to deny the holocaust, spearheaded by Ahmandenijad. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to deny what happened to non-Aryans beginning in the 1930's after walking through this exhibit. Photos, movies, quotes, shoes, personal effects, clothing, death chamber displays, lighting, exhibits. We could nearly smell death. This was one of many similarities I noticed between the Nazis and Islam.

If you ever get the chance to visit the museum, I HIGHLY encourage you to do so. Just make sure you start early in the morning. We probably needed about 5 hours, and the museum closes at 5:30pm.

Too many emotions and thoughts to put down on paper....

Re: Profound quote from Eisenhower (holocaust)

R2B...I visited the museum also in 2004. You know how they have the "kids tour" and an "adult tour"? We made it a short distance into the Kids section and my son was so upset we had to leave and no one would go back with me to finish the adult section. If I ever make it back to DC, it's on my must see list. I have been to the museum in LA, but the "kids" section alone, in DC, is even more informative and impressive than the LA one. Powerful for sure.

Comment

We didn't notice the different tours (kids v. adult). We went through the permanent exhibition, which you need a pass (free) for. I do know that several of the movie exhibitions had monitors behind and below 4 ft walls so that children could not witness the horrors. One showing was of the experiments conducted on Jews during the terror. Ghastly to say the least.

Comment

I was going to start a new thread on something I just read, but I think it might be more appropriate here. Evidently some RCC Bishops visiting Israel from Germany made some outlandish remarks concerning the Holocaust.
        Check this out!

Mar. 6, 2007 22:09 | Updated Mar. 6, 2007 22:43
        German clerics enrage Yad Vashem
        By ETGAR LEFKOVITS

Yad Vashem lambasted a group of visiting German Catholic bishops on Tuesday for comparing the situation in the Palestinian territories with the Holocaust, calling the contentious remarks "political exploitation and demagoguery" and a gross distortion of history.

The sharp condemnation by Israel's Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Authority followed reports in the German press of comparisons made by senior German bishops between conditions in the Warsaw Ghetto during World War II and current conditions in Ramallah, resulting from Israeli military activities.

"The remarks illustrate a woeful ignorance of history and a distorted sense of perspective," Yad Vashem Chairman Avner Shalev wrote in a Tuesday letter to Cardinal Karl Lehmann, who led the Conference of German Catholic Bishops on a 10-day visit to Israel and the Palestinian territories. The group visited Yad Vashem last Friday.

"Making analogies between the mass murder that was part of the plan to annihilate the Jewish people, carried out under the German Nazi regime and the current situation in Ramallah, and using words whose rhetorical power is immense, does nothing to help us understand what is going on today; such words only further poison the atmosphere making it that much more difficult to find workable solutions to deeply entrenched and thorny problems.

"These unwarranted and offensive comparisons serve to diminish the memory of victims of the Holocaust and mollify the consciences of those who seek to lessen European responsibility for Nazi crimes," he wrote.

The German bishops' bitterly contentious comparisons stunned Yad Vashem officials, who had hosted the senior Christian leaders just hours earlier.

"In the morning, we saw the pictures at Yad Vashem of the inhumane Warsaw Ghetto, while in the evening we were in the Ramallah Ghetto," Bishop Gregor Maria Franz Hanke reportedly said.

Another visiting bishop, Joachim Meisner, who serves as the Archbishop of Cologne, reportedly described the conditions at Israeli security checkpoints as "something done to animals, not to humans."

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
        A Moment Gone Is Lost Forever
        A Moment In Prayer Will Last Forever

Comment

Working...
        X